lunes, 13 de septiembre de 2010

Police statement.


Read the following police statement of a suspect of murder, taken at two different times, and answer the questions at the end of it.


“It’s hard to remember. It happened a long time ago. I… I am very tired. I can’t go on…
It was a windy evening. It was dark… dark and windy. I was wearing my brown cap, the one that my uncle gave me for my twenty-first birthday. It was my favorite one, all blue with my name written in maze. Yes, this was a really beautiful cap. But now, I hate it. The door was unlocked, as always. I saw a big silhouette behind the curtains. It must have been a guy, a big guy, I mean. He was this type of guy that people cannot forget. Soundless. Not… not a single sound. He was moving fast, from the kitchen to the backroom window… I thought he may have been a thief.
Hey, it’s weird. Such a big guy, stampeding through the house, without a single sound, not even the cracking of the floor. Jesus… this floor is really noisy. I told the landlord again and again to do something, but he always gave it a miss. Yeah, it’s weird.
So ... I get into the house. Slow, like a church mouse. My god, I was trembling with fear. My teeth could have been listened from the police station. It crossed my mind that they could break down from chattering. He was a big guy, I mean, fucking massive, man. He may still be around, maybe … armed! So… that was me, going upwards … slow, really slow. Not a sound, not a movement, but a weird smell. Something like pumpkin soup. Weird, man.
Then, I saw… saw her. Rachel. She still was in her nightie. Red. She was covered in r- … blood. I kneeled next to her. She may be alive. I touched her neck. My sweetie. I tried to get her back, but couldn’t. I couldn’t do anything. Now and again, came to my mind our good memories together. Man! This fucking fat bastard had killed my girlfriend. My sweetie. My Rachel.
Shit!
Damned!”
[…]

“It’s painful, don’t you know that? Of course, it’s not your life, just your job. Get the fuck!
Ok, it was a dark windy night. It was really chilly. Winter came earlier than other years. I was wearing a sweater and it wasn’t enough. I was kind of late to pick Rachel up, as always. Then I saw that silhouette, impressive, enormous big man. He was running to the kitchen when I got there. I got stuck. Not a movement. But I couldn’t hear anything. There was not a single sound, not even the floor. You know how much this type of floors crack. But no, he was making not a sound. And there I was, with my hand in the pocket, grabbing the front door keys. But I couldn’t move. I was terrified. He was like this kind of bouncers that make you shrink at the disco.
I tried to be brave, you know, and get into the house. I went upstairs, but I couldn’t hear a single sound. It was even more terrifying. Oh, man. There I was, going up the stairs only listening to my footsteps on the staircase. When I got to her room, I saw… Rachel. I… I rushed where she was. Blood. She was all covered in blood. I could only embrace her. My sweetie, she was… was d-… dead.”


What do you thing of the man's statement? Is he guilty or innocent? Why?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario